Advertisements
Advertisements
Good evening,
Hopefully I don't offend anyone by this post. Im in a pretty bad situation and don't know where to turn. Im 25 years old and have discovered that I am 15 weeks pregnant (due December) bc of an iud failure. I will have no family help once the baby is born. I'm currently living in my parents unfinished basement temporarily since I cannot afford to live on my own during school. My parents are pretty emotionally abusive and unsupportive(besides letting me live in their home on/off) so this is not an ideal situation for a baby or myself. I feel incredibly guilty for letting this happen and cry and sleep pretty much 24/7 if I'm not at work bc of this situation. The father of the baby who I was with for 5 years has left me since finding out I'm considering keeping the baby and I've been extremely depressed searching for a solution but keep hitting dead ends. Most of my school advisors and friends are strongly suggesting abortion but I'm worried I won't forgive myself for it because of how late I am already. Its terrible because I know im just a couple years away from graduating and wish I could just press Pause but I can't. I'm a full time bsn nursing school student and make very little money since my school schedule only permits me to work once a week if that. I'm on summer break currently and work full time but i can only save so much in preparation since my job is minimum wage. I've considered all my options - abortion, adoption, parenting and really do want to be a parent but wish I could be in a better situation. I know that 2 years from now when I graduate I'll be stable and be able to offer my baby everything, without any help but right now I feel stuck. I was wondering if there are ways to find temporary placement for an infant until I can get on my feet. If I try to parent alone with a child I will most likely fail out of my program (it's extremely difficult even without a family) and be stuck in the same position, with no career and unable to afford to take care of myself and a child. Im not sure if adoption is the right option for me since I do want this child and want to be a parent but know I have nothing to offer him or her until I'm done with school. I just don't know what to do anymore. Again I don't mean to offend anyone or sound selfish but I just wanted to know if there is such a thing as temporary foster placement in situations like mine. I've reached there lowest point in my life and need some advice. Thank you for your time.
Mimi
Advertisements
The short answer to your question is no, there is not typically a way to "temporarily place" a child for adoption. Adoption is a very permanent decision. The foster system isn't really about that either. If you have any friends or family that would consider taking custody temporarily that would probably be your best bet.
But I also want you to know I understand how hard this is for you. I got pregnant in college too, and I love my child very very much. I wanted to parent her with all my heart, and I knew that within the next few years I would be able to afford raising her.
However I decided it wouldn't really be fair to bounce her around homes, and I wanted the very best for her so I did place her for adoption in the end. I love her bunches and am so blessed to have a very open adoption with her so I still get to be a big part of her life.
Adoption isn't the best answer for everyone, just some food for thought. I'm happy to answer any more questions.
I'm so sorry that you've found yourself facing this difficult choice. There's a free ebook available for download on Adoption.com that share stories from women who made the adoption choice - and offering their advice to people experiencing an unplanned pregnancy. You might want to read it.
https://adoption.com/stories-from-birth-mothers/