Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi I am California my nephew and niece have been in foster care for two years in August TPR is scheduled in August of this year they are recommending for placement with FP who they have been with since October 2016 I found out kids were in care a few days after they went in due to Biomom calling me I immediately contacted DCFS and the social worker gave all my info as bio mom and bio dad and I went to first court date after first court date Biomom stopped contact bio dad is in prison for rest of his life social workers don't follow up I keep calling as does my mother and sister finally they say they sent packets we never receive them then we finally get them send them back they say they didn't receive anything no contact with children bio mom or anything maternal uncle gets placement then returns them back to DCFS maternal family given visitation still I hear nothing back maternal grandma gives me her packet for home study nephew gets cellphone I'm able to contact him he tells me his with a new family I ask him to have them contact me to set up a visit foster dad complies brings them to meet with me at movies leave/ them with me after lunch we hang out for a few hours after that make plans to see them again and possibly have them visit Thanksgiving since that was the first time I got to see them in almost two years (October 2016) I then send in another packet do another background check and this time with tracking relative assessor never contacts me I still have no visits and now they're finally moving to do a home study I live 5 hours away LA county told me they're back logged and it'll be a while but they see the request in their system all this happened after I filed a jv388 but was denied clerk said it was well written but it had to be denied only because I have to serve the lawyers first FP are really nice and I haven't been able to see children again because SW said im not approved and relative assessor has to approved me and that she had supervise but was busy this same social worker said I could not be considered because I was too far for reunification then I couldn't be considered because I am not my nieces bio aunt (they're half siblings) and she wasn't willing to split th up (something I'd never do) I reminded her that the parents are still married making her my step niece and that we have a family like bond all being within the degree of affinity then it was that I don't have enough rooms (I have two) so I built a wall with doors to make two rooms they said I needed a permit for that but that I can take the living room and children can have the room I said fine and here we are FP said they won't fight me for placement but GAL SW are both leaning toward them after 9 months of care I've been in their life their entire life expressed interest from the beginning any advice
If you were willing to keep the siblings together, I don't get why you weren't given preference or why no one reached out to you. Honestly, keep going up the chain of command. If all else fails, go to the media. But keep in mind that the kids have bonded with their foster family. Moving them (even with the best of intentions) will hurt them . Maybe find a way for the foster parents to let you stay in touch with them.
1 Liked
 likes this.
Advertisements
Yes they have bonded in the 9 months they've been there but they have bonded with me for 7 and ten years and I think severing that bond as well as the one with his paternal half sister and their cousins and grandmother at 10 my nephew is old enough to express where he would like to be and his bond with my mother is stronger than with his bio mom he actually lived with her and was in church had excellent grades and thrived but unfortunately bio mom took him back and he and his sister were placed in DCFS care shortly after his sister though not biologically my niece is just as close with us all and were the only paternal family she knows her actual biological father is nowhere to be found and the father listed on the birth certificate for her does not wish to place them with him or can't and I know family is not always best placement and can sometimes do more harm than good they don't belong to us you know it's what's in their best interest and I truly believe that it would hurt them more to not be placed with us than to lose placement with FP However I absolutely adore their foster family they are actually the only reason I got to see the children and have promised to keep me in their lives should I not get placement and I have made the same promise they don't want to fight me on placement if DCFS approves it and I do have great peace in knowing that I will hopefully remain in their lives I'm not a distant family member or someone just coming around because TPR is happening you know I've gotten the complete run around and things are just now moving along for my end but I definitely don't want to do anything to hurt them they are 7 and 10 and I feel like they're old enough to where if they feel happier there or say they don't want to come I definitely don't want to force them and would respect that but that's not the case but I am so grateful for their FP and all that they've done and I believe with all my heart that even if not placed with me they will be in good hands they've tried to keep me in the loop as much as possible
If you were willing to keep the siblings together, I don't get why you weren't given preference or why no one reached out to you. Honestly, keep going up the chain of command. If all else fails, go to the media. But keep in mind that the kids have bonded with their foster family. Moving them (even with the best of intentions) will hurt them . Maybe find a way for the foster parents to let you stay in touch with them.