Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
It took DH and I a loooong time to get pregnant. We dealt with the whole infertility thing for 4 years, during which we also suffered a miscarriage. While we dealt with all this, we did explore the idea of adoption and agreed that we were both open to the idea.
Fast forward 3 bio kids and 12 years later. My brother (who has jumped from one misguided action to the next his entire life) got into a relationship with a woman who he said was pregnant with his baby. After the baby was born it was immediately taken into DHHS custody, as both my brother and his gf had lost all of their previous children already. He called me and asked if I would be willing to foster the baby until he and the gf could work through the program. I agreed and got the information for the caseworker on the case. We set up a home visit with the licensing worker and they came out to talk with us and informed us that they were running a paternity test on my brother and if it was confirmed that he was the father, the baby would be moved to our home immediately.
I noticed when speaking with the caseworker on the phone and especially the caseworker that came to the house, that they were acting sort of weird. I didn't focus too much on it, as we'd never done anything like this before so we didn't really know what to expect. Then the next day my mother sent me a picture of the beautiful new baby and I realized why everyone had been acting so weird. There was NO way that my brother was the father of this baby. My brother and his gf were both white and the baby was clearly African American. Needless to say, the baby remained with her original foster parents who eventually adopted her.
A year later I went to work for child family services as a clerk and then spent the next year talking my husband into getting licensed to foster to adopt. We've been licensed for 4 years now and he's a bigger advocate for fostering than I am.