Advertisements
Advertisements
I've been looking in to what it takes to get certified as a foster parent, and it seems way too easy to me. All you have to do is be over 21 and have enough space, food and shelter for them, basic things like that. That just seems way too easy, and it seems to me like it's no wonder some foster children are abused or neglected in foster care because it's not hard to get in to.
I understand that the hard part is the foster parenting, and I'm not saying it's that easy. But the vetting process seems not very thorough. Am I wrong?
In NY, they do a background check and a fingerprint check. I also had to list past addresses back to 1977 and give 3 references that weren't relatives. This is in addition to passing the homestudy.
Advertisements
In California, you need to have a background check, take six weeks of classes, approved home study, DMV and ijnsurance records, references, and regular visits from SW's to check in on the kids.
The thing is, if someone is determined to get around it all, I think they could do it. I don't think it's an easy process and I don't think social workers let just anyone be foster parents. However, I would be curious to see what the numbers are regarding abused foster children. Sometimes the media has a way of being the loudest voice in the room.