Advertisements
Advertisements
I'm thinking about how he may be feeling right now. You said he wants to go back to his birth country, and that he was adopted at age 16. Although he gained a family when he was adopted, he lost everything else: friends, home (both his foster home or orphanage and his country), and likely his language. He may or may not have really understood what that would be like, and he may or may not have really wanted to be adopted (while theoretically kids consent to adoption, that's not always actually the case). Whether he thought he wanted to be adopted and then realized he doesn't want to be here or never really had an option, he is now living a life he has no interest in.
I think your decision needs to be based not just on what you want for him, yourself, the rest of the family, and those relationships, both now and in the future. If you are just trying to hold on until he turns 18, probably finding a boarding school here will accomplish that, but you won't have a relationship with your son in the future. Making a visit to his birth country may help him see that you do understand, but it still won't in any way solve the problem, and you will have the same issue when you come back. Either way, he will likely continue to be angry, and you will have a very difficult time maintaining a relationship. You talk about him wanting to go back to his native country, but to him, that is going home. If I perceived someone as preventing me from going home, I would probably not forgive them. I would talk with him about the options, but I think that likely the one that will give you the most hope for maintaining a relationship with your son is to allow him to attend a boarding school in his birth country, if that is what he chooses to do. However, I do think it is okay to put some stipulations on it. He won't be able to go immediately; that kind of planning takes a bit of time. Tell him that, if that is what he wants, he needs to be safe and respectful at home, go to school, whatever your family expectations are. He may likely not run away if he is in a boarding school there, because that is actually where he wants to be. Let him know that if he does, and he is not yet of age, when he is found he will return to the United States.
I can't understand what you are going through, but I can empathize. I'm also a counselor as well as a parent, and I've worked with a lot of families in the midst of crisis/ conflict. Those that I've seen with the best outcomes are the ones able to balance letting go with some level of expectations and accountability. I hope you are able to find a solution that works for both your son and the rest of your family and that gives everyone what they need.