Advertisements
Advertisements
There are some members of my extended family who seem very uncomfortable with me being open about the baby I placed. This makes family gatherings rather difficult for me. People ask about my work and education, just typical questions one would ask a niece or cousin. But my adoption almost always is a part of those answers, because my career plans involve an internship at an adoption agency.
Some members of my family freeze up and change the subject as soon as possible, which makes me feel a little judged and left out of the conversation. I don't want to totally avoid the topic because it's such a big part of me, but I don't shove it down their throats either so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Any ideas on how to fix this?
Advertisements
I suppose there is a small chance they are trying to save you from having to discuss it because they worry it hurts you. Or it really does make them uncomfortable or embarrass them. If that's the case, forget them. It's your story. You can tell it to whoever, whenever you want. Just talk over the top of them if they try cut you off. Let them know you won't be silenced. It will make them look bad.