Advertisements
Advertisements
Hello! Looking for a little help.
We are |this| close to filing for the Step Parent adoption we've been waiting for for 9 years. Neither one of us can afford the RIDICULOUS amount any area lawyer charges for this so we are doing it pro se. Last weekend the Biological-dad signed a General Consent for Termination of Parental Rights and Adoption form, it was signed by two adult witnesses that had no interest in the adoption case, and I have filled out the certificate of decree of adoption for both kids. I have read the Administrative Order requested to be read from the adoption checklist provided by the Jackson County 16th circuit court website, and filled out the family information worksheet. Literally the only thing I have not done on the checklist is the petition of adoption because I can not find an answer anywhere about WHAT that is!
There are no forms anywhere. I even went to the Family Justice Center (after being sent all over the city to find the right place, my goodness) and all she would tell me was "You can't get that online." Well.... OBVIOUSLY. But apparently I can't get it from the court either. So I am at a loss. After everything I read in regards to Missouri Stepparent adoption, we will be eligible to have the home study waived, especially because of the consent given by Biological-dad. So all we really have left is my husband's background check and that darn petition in order to file this.
From what I gathered from the information I was able to find (or lack thereof) the Petition sound like a written statement of intent. Is this correct? If so, all I need to know is what HAS to be on the petition and I can write it up today and file.
Hopefully, someone here can be our angel and help. My kids have been waiting to be legally their dad's for nearly a decade. I don't think we can wait another week haha.
If it is just a written letter of intent, this is what I have. Perhaps someone could tell me if it would be acceptable or if there is anything else needed to be added or removed.
Petition for Adoption
I, Melissa Graham, the natural mother of Lily and Robert Roth, am petitioning for the adoption of Lily Roth and Robert Roth Jr. by their step-father, James Graham, in the jurisdiction of Jackson County, Missouri.
Lily, age 11, and Robert, age 12, have only ever known James as their father since the ages of 2 and 3. He has been their emotional and financial support without pause or hesitation for the last 9 years in their biological-father's stead. The children have wanted him to adopt them for many years and are eager to become Grahams, allowing our family to unify under the same name.
Their biological father, Robert Lee Roth Sr., has willfully, and in the presence of two uninterested parties as witnesses, signed consent to the termination of his parental rights and to the future adoption of Robert and Lily by my husband of 6 years, understanding that it is in the best interest of the children that James is given all legal and financial rights and obligations. He did so knowing that he cannot provide for them or give them the stability they need, and with understanding of what the termination of his rights means.
We have been a family for nine years. James has never hesitated in taking care of my children in an emotional, physical, medical, or financial capacity. Lily's furthest recollecting memories are of him as her father. She has written "Lily Ann Roth or Graham" on schoolwork, waiting sometimes impatiently for the day that she has the same last name as her sisters and mother and father. Robert Jr. has been ready to be adopted by the man who has been raising him as only a father can raise a boy.
Robert Sr. is agreeing to these proceedings out of love for the kids and to give them what we all agree is best for them. James Graham has given careful consideration to the full weight of responsibility and obligations that comes with adopting Robert and Lily and accepts everything with unparalleled enthusiasm. This family is ready to be whole.
Furthermore, if I have any power to do so, I request that any Child Support owed to me in arrears in the states of Kansas and Missouri, be forgiven of Robert Roth Sr. We wish a clean break from him in the hopes of normalizing the children's lives as much as possible, and do not require any financial support from him, even that which is owed from the past. Let the past stay in the past, we only want the future.
Melissa Ann Graham, natural mother. ___________________________
James Christopher Costa Graham, stepfather. ____________________________
Last update on August 1, 7:48 am by Melissa Graham.