Advertisements
Advertisements
I try and think of relationships like this as similar to any other extended family relationship. Reunion is not just a one meeting deal, you can definitely continue to maintain contact. You can be friends on social media, talk on the phone or skype every once in awhile, text, and get together on special occasions.
None of my biological family lives close by. It's difficult to stay in touch, but we manage. We are all friends on Facebook. We text and occasionally call each other. We visit when possible. You just do what you can when you can. I try to check in with everyone at least once a month, but the replies are usually pretty short. I wish you the best!
Advertisements
I agree with what Annaleece said. At this point, it's really no different than meeting someone from out of state for the first time. Cultivate it like you would any other relationship. At some point in your interaction, things will fall naturally in line and it will seem almost effortless.
Best of luck with your reunion and your new family friendships :)
I would try to explain to them that this is not something you are doing TO them, but something you are doing FOR you. Tell them it is important that you learn about your family history. I wrote a letter to my adoptive parents about finding my birth family. Maybe it will help you.
https://adoption.com/please-dont-make-me-feel-guil...
Last update on September 9, 3:41 pm by Brandy.
Advertisements