Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi, I'm new to this forum but I'm glad I found it. So this is what I know about my background I was born in San Diego, CA on 8/2/82. I was taken away from my parents at age 2 1/2. My parents lost their parental rights when I was a little over 3 1/2. I grew up in the foster care system from 2 1/2 until I was 18. I am deaf and unfortunately at least back then there weren't many foster homes available for kids with disabilities. So I lived in group homes the entire time. When I turned 18 California didn't have all the extra funds to put towards helping emancipated foster kids independent living etc. So for a long time I was homeless and bouncing around from transitional living program to motel and back again. I always had a job but San Diego is very expensive. Now I have a pretty good full time job and a part time job and I have an apartment. I've never been able to experience life in a family setting. Or to have parents, etc. I would really like to find my birth family and hopefully someone would be willing to create a relationship. I don't have my original birth certificate. When I requested it I was denied because the file is sealed. I petitioned the court and was denied again. This is after I was ripped off of 3,000$ by an attorney who knew he couldn't do anything to help me. Has anyone been in this situation? I'm just looking for any family member to create permanency for me. The little information I have is from my social worker. I tried to reconnect with her when I was around 20 and she didn't have that job anymore and now I can't find her anywhere by searching. Thank you for any responses. Sorry this is long and I apologize if I posted too much.
Advertisements
Yes I signed up for all of the registries and did ancestry.com. It's kind of like they don't exist. I will keep trying. If anyone else has any other ideas I'm open to anything. Or if I should post this somewhere else please let me know. Thank you so much!
It's a little different because you were a foster child, but you could still try registering on adoption reunion registries like the one on this site.
Rachel,
If you aged out of the system without being adopted, then your original birth certificate should be available to you -- because even if your biological parents rights were severed, your birth certificate must have information about parents on it -- either biological or adopted. Since you weren't adopted, the information would be your biological parents.
I'm curious to know what your birth certificate looks like. I'm also curious about your ability to obtain your "non-identifying information" from the state.
Here is a link to more information about obtaining Non-Identifying Information:
The more information you can put out in the public eye, the better -- but do reserve at least a small piece of information, so that you can more closely confirm your potential matches. Sadly, there are scammers out there and being able to confirm a small piece of information will help you more closely identify potential matches. You might also want to engage in DNA testing with any potential matches.
Another avenue for you might be 23andMe or one of the other familial/ancestral DNA profiling sites. Sometimes, people get lucky in that a member of their biological family has engaged those services and a match or partial match can be found there.
Either way -- you do have some resources available to obtain more information to help guide you in your search.
Best of luck to you!