Advertisements
Advertisements
When you want to adopt an older child and already have biological children, how much do you allow the thoughts and feelings your children have weigh in on the decision?
My first husband and I were licensed to foster and when we made the decision to go that route, we heavily considered our son's thoughts and feelings.
He wanted to be the oldest -- which wasn't an issue, because we felt it was important to preserve birth order.
He wanted only boys -- there was a huge need for sibling groups and more specifically boys in our area, so we didn't have an issue with that.
His other concerns were that we'd love them more, etc -- those are just things we had to talk about. I'd say it took us about 6 months to kick around the idea and talk about it with him before he was on board -- and that's also important, because the social worker included him in our home visits and homestudy -- asking about his thoughts on the topic.
They do talk to everyone in the home and if the kids aren't on board, it's just NOT going to happen!
1 Liked
 likes this.
Advertisements