Advertisements
Advertisements
What are the expenses that are commonly covered by the adoptive parents? I am assuming there are probably legal fees and court costs, as well as medical expenses. Are there other things that are usually covered? In my younger sister's adoption, there were quite a few receipts found for things that did not seem to be standard. There were attorney invoices for things like her electric bill, phone bill and groceries.
My adoptive father participated in lots of shady deals with people over the years. I'm just trying to get an idea of whether or not the situation seemed legitimate. I suppose he could have just offered, but it always seemed odd to us.
Ashley,
It varies case to case. In some cases there are no expenses outside of the legal fees (similar to my case when I placed) and in other cases, there are things such as extensive medical bills, utilities, housing, food, clothing and other things that a birth parent might need while pregnant, but can't afford.
There are several placement agencies across the country that offer dormitory type housing to mothers considering adoption for their unborn child and those expenses are passed along to the adoptive parent(s).
There used to be a practice (questionable/illegal) where they would fly a pregnant mother from The Marshall Islands to Hawaii to give birth in order to have it considered a domestic adoption -- that practice was illegal and I believe it's mostly stopped. In those cases, adoptive parents were charged for travel expenses.
You may see taxi/uber/bus fare for travel to and from Dr. visits.
They can go from one extreme to another. Like in my case, I never requested any expenses or help with anything and all of my medical expenses and the medical expenses of my daughter until she was 3 days old were covered under Medicaid.
1 Liked
 likes this.
Advertisements