Advertisements
Advertisements
I know a woman who is hoping to adopt. She spends quite a bit of time searching around on Facebook for women facing unplanned pregnancies. She then contacts them offering to adopt their baby. I know she means well and is not purposefully trying to coerce, but is seeking out women who aren't asking to be contacted by hopeful adoptive families ethical?
I don't know if I would consider it unethical, but it is definitely an invasion of privacy. That is a very delicate time for a woman. Both of my pregnancies were unplanned. Both times I was stressed out and overwhelmed and didn't know how we would make it financially. I would have been offended if someone had approached me during that time. Unplanned does not equal unwanted.
Advertisements
I once knew a couple (online) that had no problem handing out business cards with their hoping to adopt information on it to any pregnant woman they came across.
Seriously, could you imagine?
They often left several with their tips at restaurants!
The thought of that mortifies me!
It just feels like soliciting to me, it's really awkward. As wonderful as my birth daughter's family is, had they reached out to me instead of the other way around I probably would have been put off. No one likes feeling pushed.