Advertisements
Advertisements
Hello, just looking for support. I have filed for termination of rights and step parent adoption for my child. I filed on grounds of failure to plan. My ex has been a drug user for about 9 years now with short periods of sobriety and has always relapsed. One involuntary commitment due to drug and mental instability. Most recent being this past year when I filed. Child support is hit or miss. Is about 2k behind currently. I moved to a different state with our daughter 5 years ago, uncontested by the father. He has lived in halfway homes for several years now. Has recently moved into a one bedroom with a woman he met in rehab (who is a Felon) has spoken to my daughter once in a 7 month period prior to me filing and saw her for a couple of hours at Christmas at her cousins house. But did also see her 2-3 days over the summer also. Has never come to our state to visit with her. Never thrown her a bday party or send cards or any gifts. Doesn't know what school she goes to, what doctor, etc. Just wondering if anyone has had similar cases with success. Thank you
Advertisements
So is your ex contesting the adoption? I have seen it go both ways, it really depends on the judge. I think you have a fair case, and it's definitely worth trying.
Hi yes he is contesting it. He wrote a very mean letter to the judge stating that he thinks I am doing it because I have "been unable to produce a child" for my current husband. Which is entirely wrong, I have been on birth control and have records to prove that. Although my lawyer said there would be no reason for me to have to provide that.
Oh wow. That's not very nice of him to say. I think you have a shot, especially with the history of drug use and lack of involvement. Please keep us posted on how things are going.
I don't think whether or not you have had more children will have any bearing on your case at all. It just makes him look vindictive for even saying that.
Advertisements