Advertisements
Advertisements
Wow. I felt the same way when my half-sister contacted me! She was overzealous and I was overwhelmed, scared and unprepared. She had even come from the other side of the tracks too! My curiosity outweighed my reluctance and I met her at a local restaurant. It was a good meeting albeit emotionally exhausting to get so much background in one shot. BUT... Over a short period of time, I really liked her, we had so much in common it was kind of weird right down to our favorite book and what we wanted to do for a career. She became my best friend, I loved her so much. Seven years later she died at age 30 from a brain hemorrhage. My husband who also encouraged me through my uncertaintly about meeting my half-sister, and I raised her daughter who was eleven years old at the time of her mom's death.
One thing I can say is that I never regretted our relationship, we never fought, we had already lost too much time. And when she passed away I was so grateful that she was so persistent. I learned so much from her that I would have otherwise never experienced. Be honest, but be flexible. Your temporary discomfort could be a meaningful act of kindness toward her and end there or it could be the start of something more beautiful that you could have imagined.
Last update on September 27, 2:15 pm by Ronnie Geeh.