Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi everyone! My husband and I want to adopt internationally, but we are not sure when would be the best time to start this process. He is currently finishing his PhD program, and this upcoming summer we will be moving--the problem is, we won't know where he is moving until this winter or spring. Most likely, we will be moving out of state. I know that adoption guidelines differ state by state (and even county by county in some instances), so we are definitely waiting to start the process until he accepts a job offer. If he accepts a job in a different state in February, could we start the adoption process in February, or should we wait until we physically move to the new state in July to start? Is there anything that we could start working on now, before we officially start the process? Thank you for your help/advice!
Advertisements
One of the first things you will need is a home study, and that can't be completed until you actually move into your new home, regardless of where that is. RIght now you can choose an agency, research what country you would like to adopt from, etc. Starting some savings now to help with adoption costs later is a good idea as well.
1 Liked
 likes this.
Hi everyone! My husband and I want to adopt internationally, but we are not sure when would be the best time to start this process. He is currently finishing his PhD program, and this upcoming summer we will be moving--the problem is, we won't know where he is moving until this winter or spring. Most likely, we will be moving out of state. I know that adoption guidelines differ state by state (and even county by county in some instances), so we are definitely waiting to start the process until he accepts a job offer. If he accepts a job in a different state in February, could we start the adoption process in February, or should we wait until we physically move to the new state in July to start? Is there anything that we could start working on now, before we officially start the process? Thank you for your help/advice!
Are you planning for straight adoption or foster to adopt? Wondering if some agencies such as Catholic Charities May have branches throughout the country, which might make it easier to prepare and get some of the red tape processed sooner. Not sure how Home study works if one moves, but am sure someone on here will know.