Advertisements
Advertisements
It was honestly the easiest part of everything.
Same.
Ours walked through the living room, to the kitchen, sat at the table and asked her questions, then left. Very easy.
Maybe you could call him and tell him where you're at in the process and how long he thinks it will be, because the hold up is him getting it done (if he doesn't have it this week, like you think he might).
Hang in there. We're here if you need the support or just to shoot the breeze.
Advertisements
Update:
Order Terminating Parental Rights & Granting Adoption - Stepchild was filed - on October 19th. asking for a default.
BUT it turns out he did respond. He sent a handwritten letter to the adoption department at the Bexar County courthouse saying "no" he doesn't agree with it and nor did he or the clerk notify us of it. So that means we have to go to trial.
FILED Motion to Set - on Nov 8th.
FILED Certificate of Last Known Address - on Nov 8th. (His last known address is the jail, so i'm really confused how he's supposed to get notice of the court date cause he's out on bond)
FILED Non Military Affidavit - on Nov 8th
CONFORMED Notice of Setting- Nov 10th (We have a court date set)
I would love to know the outcome! My situation is so very similar and I have had such a hard time finding personal stories about step parent adoption. My soon to be husband has been in my daughter's life since she was 7 months old (she is now almost 4) and she has no clue who her biological father is. He's a drug addict, criminal and a narcissist who does things out of spite. He hasn't seen my daughter since she was 5 months old, hasn't paid anything, absolutely no support whatsoever. So I would love to know y'alls outcome if that would be ok!
Much luck
Update:
Bio father has still not made a payment since we filed. - We went to court today. Showed up and the judge went through the docket. Our case was called and my ex tells the judge he doesn't have a lawyer. My lawyer conferred with him and he said he needs more time to "afford a lawyer". We gave him a three-week extension, which is annoying because he's had eight months to prepare for this, but lawyer insists that a judge would allow it either way. He's (ex) just trying to buy time, is my guess. I get home and am informed through a friend that low and behold, he was arrested a week earlier for two more felonies (shocker). He dropped a few grand on his bond, so no wonder he has no money. So maybe us resetting it was a blessing in disguise? The more time that passes, the deeper he digs his own hole. So I get to being nosey and begin to search the court docket for the county he lives in. He has a court date for the 22nd for three separate felonies, our court date is on the 29th. I wouldn't put it past him to show up with an active warrant or land himself in jail.
Last update on January 9, 8:30 pm by Stephanie Lanier.
1 Liked
 likes this.
We went to court this past Monday. The docket was called and bio-father wasn't there. They called for him in the hallway, still nothing. My lawyer asked for a default judgment on the grounds of him not showing up even though he knew of the court date. It was granted.
The court session lasted 10 minutes total for the termination and adoption. My lawyer presented the evidence for lack of child support and the judge granted the termination. I was sworn in and the lawyer then asked me a few questions about his lack of payments, lack of contact, and if I want my husband to adopt the child. He then asked my husband a few questions about how long we've been married, how long the child has lived with him, if he's done the background check and social study, and if he knows this is permanent. My daughter was brought into the room and after asking my daughter if she wanted to be adopted the judge granted the adoption. Ordered for two scoops of ice cream to celebrate. We got 5 copies of the order, and that was it. Went to IHOP and got pancakes, then ice cream. Went to her school and gave them a copy of the order.
As I previously stated: My ex, had a criminal hearing a week before our court date, which he used the "reset paper" which was given to him at our court date to then ask for the criminal case to be reset as well. So when we went to court he wasn't in jail nor did he have a warrant. He just didn't show.
All in all, I am happy to be able to close this chapter of our lives. I was honestly expecting it to be a circus, but in the end, as always, he couldn't be bothered to put in the time and effort when it came to his own daughter.
Advertisements
GIRL! That is so amazing! I am beyond happy for y'all and that the outcome is what y'all have been hoping for! I am so glad that it wasn't a mess. I know i said my situation was similar and it is, but i got some news that changes EVERYTHING on my part. My daughters bio father actually died of a drug overdose on Christmas eve... and although that's unfortunate to some and i wouldn't have wished that on anyone, it definitely makes things A LOT easier now.. I cant wait to get the papers filed.
What a good way to start the year for y'all :)
My daughters bio father actually died of a drug overdose on Christmas eve
That's kind of crazy cause I actually have two kids whose father died of an overdose (it was a suicide) on Father's Day last year, we will be going through the same process, but as far as I understand there is no termination, just adoption.
I believe so, you still have to have the background check, home study and an ad litem is still appointed to represent your child but other than that, no one is there to contest it. You will probably need a death certificate when you file. That's what my attorney told me that I will need. So I have to get that from his parents :| .... But it will be worth it in the end
That's kind of crazy cause I actually have two kids whose father died of an overdose (it was a suicide) on Father's Day last year, we will be going through the same process, but as far as I understand there is no termination, just adoption.
We went to court this past Monday. The docket was called and bio-father wasn't there. They called for him in the hallway, still nothing. My lawyer asked for a default judgment on the grounds of him not showing up even though he knew of the court date. It was granted.
The court session lasted 10 minutes total for the termination and adoption. My lawyer presented the evidence for lack of child support and the judge granted the termination. I was sworn in and the lawyer then asked me a few questions about his lack of payments, lack of contact, and if I want my husband to adopt the child. He then asked my husband a few questions about how long we've been married, how long the child has lived with him, if he's done the background check and social study, and if he knows this is permanent. My daughter was brought into the room and after asking my daughter if she wanted to be adopted the judge granted the adoption. Ordered for two scoops of ice cream to celebrate. We got 5 copies of the order, and that was it. Went to IHOP and got pancakes, then ice cream. Went to her school and gave them a copy of the order.
As I previously stated: My ex, had a criminal hearing a week before our court date, which he used the "reset paper" which was given to him at our court date to then ask for the criminal case to be reset as well. So when we went to court he wasn't in jail nor did he have a warrant. He just didn't show.
All in all, I am happy to be able to close this chapter of our lives. I was honestly expecting it to be a circus, but in the end, as always, he couldn't be bothered to put in the time and effort when it came to his own daughter.
We have our adoption hearing on July 20th :) i just wanted to share!
Advertisements