Advertisements
Advertisements
FS has been with us a year, Mom has done virtually nothing , in and out of jail with only sporadic visits. Earlier in the summer, plan changed to sole plan of adoption, and judge ordered TPR, which was just filed. No sooner was Mom served than entered rehab (on deferred adjudication from separate criminal case). A few days later, she gave birth to another kid. From what I can determine, as long as she remains compliant, the plan is for her to stay in rehab for 6 months. The rehab where mom is a "mommy and me" set up; baby is currently with her. I understand that she can ask to have FS join her. I'm really hoping that a judge would not permit this, given that it would (a) be a change of plan, and (b) be a pretty big bet on what is a speculative outcome at best. TPR prelim is set for next month. Any BTDT with this? Do judges see through these "hail mary" passes? What about disrupting a child's stable placement, and putting him in rehab? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Situations like this are really hard to predict because it depends almost completely on the judge. I can definitely see from the information you're providing that it would be better for the child to stay in their current stable environment. However, the goal of foster care is reunification and judges do that whenever they can. I think a lot of it might depend on how she does with this baby. Please keep us posted on what happens, and I hope it goes well.
Advertisements
Hi there,
The age of your FS may be a factor in determining if they would place him in rehab. Since TPR has been filed they don't generally re-negotiate especially if the state recommended it. BUT mom has the right to appeal. Generally this all happens within a specified time of filing TPR check with your support worker regarding the TPR policy in your state, you should be able to read it online. I would assume that she would have to do a major turn-around. These programs are not easy to get into and stay in from what I hear. We had a baby come into our care because mom did not follow the rules and was kicked out.
1 Liked
 likes this.
I hope she work out her program. For the other baby. But I doubt it. Since, I think the mom going to drug rehab was to try to stop TPR. But I hope it didn't screw up his TPR.