Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
I thinks some people don't want to take the chance of getting attached and having the child(ren) leave - but that is a risk when doing foster care or foster to adopt. Some children do return to family, some adoptions fail, for a variety of reasons, but far more have successful adoptions.
Both of mine were babies when they were placed with me, both went to adoption (same birth mom).
I do have concerns, especially about my son, as he was diagnosed with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome just recently at three (he is 3.5 now). I knew both of them were exposed to drugs and I was aware that there was a possibility of alcohol exposure.
My daughter was placed with me at three days old but still occasionally will ask to hear about the first time I saw her and tells me she misses her "other mom". She has mild attachment issues that I assume are related to an unconscious sense of abandonment. I know some people get upset or hurt feelings when a child wants to talk about their birth family, when they have questions or seek that place of belonging outside the family that adopted them. I wish their birth mom was in a position to be apart of the kids lives, it would benefit both of them to have an open adoption, but at least at this time, that is not possible.
It is hard when a child leaves. I had one, who was only with us two months, she went to live with a younger sibling and his grandmother - I knew at placement that the brother's grandmother was seeking custody. Nevertheless, it was still hard to see her go (and I knew the grandmother and knew she was going a great place, the right place for her).