Advertisements
Advertisements
I've probably posted about this before, but I just can't get over how rough he is. My two year old is always jumping on furniture or intentionally rolling down the stairs or flipping and flopping around on everything. He's like a future stunt double or something. You can't turn your back on him for a second. My other son was not nearly as physical. Is this just a phase or do kids that are rough stay that way?
As this is an adoption forum I should add they are both our biologically.
Advertisements
Wow. I see broken bones in his future. 😥
I think in this day and age it is important for parents who ave very active kids to have some video footage of their typical play methods and behaviors, and to carefully document the cause of injuries, discussing with pediatrician things that they can do to foster safety (for that child and other children said child might be playing with) with a child who does play roughly without stifling the child’s curiosity and sense of adventure. By having this discussion early on, one not only gets medical feedback on whether the behaviors are within typical norms or something to be concerned about, but also has taken a proactive approach to make sure one is doing all he or she can on the preventative safety front and has documented what has been typical of that particular child. This is very important if there ever are serious injuries caused by those actions, as any responsible parent taking a child to an ER because of such injury, may suddenly find themselves being looked at by CYS without ever having even given it a thought that the bruises and bumps the child may have already sustained running and playing and falling (especially common with toddlers who can’t tell the doctor what happened and are still growing into their bodies and coordination) combined with a responsible action of taking a child to be checked out when injured could make them a target of inquiry due to some of the extreme positions relating to mandated reporting laws these days because for too long there was not enough reporting of truly abusive situations.
Advertisements
That is a fantastic idea, and one I wouldn't have thought of. I have made comments to my husband about how bad his bruises must look to others.
That is a fantastic idea, and one I wouldn't have thought of. I have made comments to my husband about how bad his bruises must look to others.
Might I also recommend Arnica salve on bruises? I have used the sublingual balls under my tongue for pain. Boxers use arnica Ointment or arnica salve in bruises to speed healing. Also keep freeze pops, bags of frozen peas an various sizes of ice packs in the freezer. Some grow out of it, others (especially those with ADHD) don’t. I migght also recommend the foam puzzle like floor tiles for his room (the black ones are available at Costco) these can even be applied to walls to help protect both wall and child. ߘ I am also a fan of active exploratory toys which encourage them to express themselves and explore safely, so would recommend checking out They have many therapy toys, activities for various ages and many toys that can be used differently at different ages.
Last update on October 18, 3:05 pm by Yve Brown.
Thank you! That is the third time I have heard mention of Arnica this week, so maybe that's a sign that we should be using it. I definitely think that it looks like he will outgrow the wildness, just not the roughness. Right now he sleeps in our room, and the playroom has carpet. I feel like he needs a bubble wrap suit. Lol
1 Liked
 likes this.
Thank you! That is the third time I have heard mention of Arnica this week, so maybe that's a sign that we should be using it. I definitely think that it looks like he will outgrow the wildness, just not the roughness. Right now he sleeps in our room, and the playroom has carpet. I feel like he needs a bubble wrap suit. Lol
Check out fun and function. Wall mats, floor mats, protective clothing, all kinds of fun toys that encourage exploration, pressure blankets and pressure vests, and fidgets. My favorite and plan to have if we foster or adopt, a canoe bed for sitting in, reading in, playing in, sleeping in. ߘ
Advertisements