Advertisements
Advertisements
This is just a potential sort of question. I've been in the fostering licensing process for a year now, although I was licensed once before and closed my home for awhile before having to begin the entire process again. So it's taken a year because CPS lost my paperwork twice, it took 6 months for the county to come out and inspect the house. Now for the past month, my foster worker has told me twice that there's only one thing missing in my file, then it comes in and something else is missing in my file lol. So who knows when I'll get my license, it could be tomorrow, it could be 6 months from now.
Well a year is a long time and in that time I've begun dating a friend and he's a wonderful man and we're really happy together. He's really supportive of my fostering, in fact, his parents were foster parents while he was growing up and he has adopted siblings. He's great with both our neices and nephews. Neither of us have any children and we're both in our 30s.
We've talked about the future and he says he'd love to be a foster dad, and he's been dropping hints lately about proposing.
So far he's mentioned in my home study and has done the background checks required as a frequent house visitor, but I wonder if we did marry, would I need to close my home for a year before fostering?
I believe the requirement in Texas is not to have any major life events within a year of getting your license, but if you already have your license..... Idk. This is all hypothetical at the moment, life happens after all, but has anyone been through this experience?
If we married I would move into his home since I rent mine and he owns his, plus his is in a much better school district. So these would be major home study changes.
Advertisements
I hate to reply to my own post, but I spoke to a friend who is a social worker and she said they wouldn't normally remove a placement if they aren't looking for an excuse to remove the child and you don't request the placement be moved. So for anyone with this question I'm future, it's a highly variable thing depending on if everything is going well in the placement and if the social worker wants to move the child.
In any case, 13 months and counting since I first submitted my application to foster. I did get a call from my CW today saying she's submitted my application for review as soon as her boss comes in so I could be licensed on Monday. I've heard this from her twice before, so I'm not holding my breath lol.