Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi. My husband and I are interested in becoming foster parents. We live in Nebraska and there are several agencies to choose from. I tried joining a foster parents of Nebraska group on Facebook to ask which agencies were best, but the admin said you had to already be part of an agency to join the FB group. They don't want arguments over which agency is best. She suggested that I contact the agencies and ask them questions. Then go with the best fit. I don't even know which questions I should be asking. How do you choose an agency? What questions should I be asking? Thanks!
Advertisements
Can you go to any information sessions. They can give you a feel for he agency. I'd ask if they can put you in contact with a couple if their current foster parents. Maybe also ask how they do paperwork. My first agency did everything electronically and had a couple extra monthly forms specific for them. I'm doing county this time and the paperwork is all physical and they don't require any forms except basic ones. Some also offer extra funds to help you get set up when you get a placement. Maybe ask when and where they do pride and what continuing education resources they offer. My brother's agency gave addition money for school clothes every year. They also hosted continuing education classes to all current fp. Some agencies also have parties and other activities and some have foster parent support groups. An information session us a good place to start.