Advertisements
Advertisements
My husband and I are considering fostering to adopt. We have just started to look into it and I'm sure there is a lot more to learn. I am worried we will be disqualified because of my husband's previous actions.
My husband has a daughter from a previous relationship when he was much younger. He spent many years in a high conflict custody battle. In the end, he and the biomom decided to allow the child to live with the maternal grandmother. In time, she requested that her and her husband adopt the child. All parties agreed. He willingly gave up his rights in an attempt to protect the child from further conflict. He still maintains a relationship with her. He has regular monthly visitation.
There's much more to the situation, but to keep things brief... He was never charged with neglect or anything of that sort. He did agree to the adoption though. Would this rule us out?
Without knowing all the details, it is hard to say how things will go, but it does sound as if your husband acted in the best interests of his child, first by trying to get custody, then by agreeing to having his child adopted by a grandparent to bring permanence and stability to her life, and finally by maintaining a relationship with her. He sounds like a decent person who will be able to relate to a foster child who has had a life full of conflict and stress, and needs a home where love and structure will help him/her heal and thrive.
Sharon
Advertisements