Advertisements
Advertisements
Hello,
I am a single 37 year old father with a 7 year old son. I have a full time job in education and I am in grad school full time seeking my masters degree in childhood education. I have had an interest in adopting for some time but wanted to wait until I had completed my degree and had a full time teaching position. Over a year ago however I made a mistake and am afraid I ruined my chances for ever making this dream a reality. I was going through a rough experience after being injured on a previous job and being told I would never be able to return to that position and then my final grandparent, who I was close with passed away. I met a friend at a bar a couple days later to talk about my situation. Afterwards, I made a poor choice and drove home, getting myself a dwi. In fact this was my second dwi because I received one when I was 18 as well. I do not drink regularly and actually gave up drinking for good after this night. However, in NY this second dwi constituted misdemeanor probation which I am now serving. These are the ONLY run ins I have ever had with the law. Will the probation ruin my hopes to adopt? I am a good and attentive parent to my child and otherwise make sound choices and these situations are isolated incidents but I fear the extent of their repercussions...
If I was still able to adopt, how likely is it for a single father with a son to be able to adopt a daughter?