Advertisements
Advertisements
Hello!
I am hoping to start the process of becoming a foster parent in about 6 months time, but I have a few questions I'd love some advice on.
At the time I will be applying, I will be 20 years old and will be living in a duplex with an extra bedroom. I will be attending school twice a week (T/TH 5-6 hours a day) and working part-time as a nanny (MWF 9-4). Although I am young, I'm in the process in getting a bachelor degree in early childhood development and have a good amount of experience with young children. I've previously worked in a preschool classroom with toddlers aged 2-3, as well as a nanny for two different families (with infants and children under 3). I think that I have a lot of love, time, and patience to share and would love to open my home to a foster child.
I know that the need for foster parents for infants and toddlers isn't as great as the need for older children and sibling groups, but it's where I'd like to start with my fostering journey. I'd love some advice on some things I'm not sure fostering agencies would be okay with:
1. I will be working part-time as a nanny, but will have the flexibility to bring a foster child with me. Would agencies be okay with this?
2. I'll be in school twice a week (5-6 hours each day). Do agencies offer daycare placement for student foster parents? Or would hiring a babysitter/nanny be better? I'm not sure if hiring someone would be feasible money wise
3. I will be living in a duplex that is owned by my mother, so I (very thankfully) will not have to pay any rent. Would an agency have an issue with this? My income from being a nanny is enough to cover my groceries, gas, etc. but my parents are willing to pay my rent until I complete my bachelor's degree.
*Yes, my parents help me out a lot (rent, insurance). If I had a solid lease (that's good for a few years) printed and signed stating that I didn't have to pay rent, would an agency be more likely to approve my housing/money situation?
4. I am on my parents medical and vehicle insurance until I turn 26 (company policy). Would an agency see this as me being to dependent on my parents?
5. In the past (working as a nanny), I've always been paid under the table. Therefore I have no real work history. Would an agency have an issue with no prior employment. I'll only have started a new nanny position a few months prior to becoming a foster parent (hopefully), is this enough to show that I've got a solid job and income?
Thanks to anyone who can offer some advice! It has always been on my mind to become a foster parent and I think that I am at a point in my life that it might become a reality. I'm not looking to adopt (at this point in my life), so short-term foster care for one child under 2 years is what I'm most interested in. I'll consider expanding my age range and number of children once I get used to the foster care system. Thanks again!
Last update on March 8, 6:33 pm by Shelby Leve.
Hi. I've been a foster parent for over 2 years so I hope my advice is helpful.
1. The agency needs to know which children and adults the foster child will be around regularly. So, if you plan to take the child with you while you nanny, the agency may interview the parents of the children you nanny and possibly inspect the home in which you nanny. Licensed day care facilities are sort of exempt from this scrutiny because they operate under clear rules regarding vaccinations, safety, caregiver to children ratios, etc. The agency won't immediately be against this, but the parents of the children you nanny for may need to become involved in your home study.
2. Agencies don't have a daycare provider. They may recommend one local to you but it's your responsibility to secure the day care placement and get it approved by your agency worker. You'll also be financially responsible for daycare. It's not paid for by the agency. You can ask a friend or family member to babysit for you, but they'll need to be fingerprinted by the agency as well.
3. The agency will need to know how much money you bring home and how much you spend. They want to know that you can support you AND the child financially. The monthly payment from social services will NOT cover all of the child's expenses so you'll need to disclose how much money you can allocate for the child. Getting assistance from your parents for rent and insurance is fine but the agency will want to know how you can support yourself if for some reason you no longer receive assistance from your parent.
4. As long as you have insurance for both while caring for the children, it's OK to have this provided by your parents. You'll need to notify the agency if it ever changes.
5. See answer to number 3. You'll need to demonstrate that you have stable enough income to care for the child. My husband and I had to have our employer complete a Verification of Employment form. If you are self employed, you may need to provide a copy of your tax return.
Best of luck!
Advertisements
"At the time I will be applying, I will be 20 years old..."
Assuming you are in California, licensing requirements here are that you are at least 25 years old.