Advertisements
Advertisements
I have a spacious dining room that’s empty and I want to turn it into my “kids’ room” for future foster children.
I hate four walls... but my dining room doesn’t have a door. I was thinking about going to Home Depot and buy one... Now that I solved the door situation... I’m not 100% sure if the room needs a closet or not to pass.
I live in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
I am young and single. I could really use advice... I’m so nervous. I don’t want to blow my chances at this.
... I’m not sure if the size will pass either... it’s 8’0” x 11’4”
I can't tell you for Pennsylvania, but it Oklahoma the was approval works is you have to have adequate space for the child's belongings and room to play. Once you put a bed in the room is there still room to play? Also instead of a dresser you could do something like this that would eliminate the no closet issue. . Good thing on the door because they would have found it a privacy issue. I think you will be fine. Best of luck to you!
Advertisements
Does your dining room have a window to the outside? In order to be a bedroom it would need to meet that requirement. An armoir style dresser could work as both a dresser and a closet. That would be a total of 88 square feet, so would be doable if you lay it out correctly. What age of children are you thinking you want to foster. That may make a difference for how things can be laced out. I do not believe there are any size requirements for closets, so you may find it possible to do a very small closet in addition to a dresser. One option I have seen on “This Small Space” was a peg board closet that was 12” to 18” and had shelving both inside for clothes and outside for toys, with a clothing rod also inside. It also had a white board door. Something like that might be useful in your space. If you want to talk to others in PA, there is a group on Facebook called PA Adoption and Foster Support.
I can't tell you for Pennsylvania, but it Oklahoma the was approval works is you have to have adequate space for the child's belongings and room to play. Once you put a bed in the room is there still room to play? Also instead of a dresser you could do something like this that would eliminate the no closet issue. . Good thing on the door because they would have found it a privacy issue. I think you will be fine. Best of luck to you!