Advertisements
Advertisements
Hello!
I'm hoping to start the process of becoming a foster parent in about 6 months time. I'll be 20 years old and have an apartment with an extra bedroom. The bedroom is on the small side, but is really cute and has great natural light. Does it need to have a closet, or is a dresser sufficient enough? I'm located in California if that matters.
At the time I hope to start fostering, I'll be working as a nanny and will have the flexibility to bring the foster child with me. I also will be in school part-time, but the majority of my classes will be online. I'll only have one class to attend twice a week. I'll either need daycare for a few hours twice a week or to hire a babysitter. Does this sound like a situation that CPS would approve of? I plan on fostering in the 0-2 age range to start.
Lastly, the apartment (really a duplex) I live in is owned by my mother so I, very thankfully, don't have to pay any rent. The income I bring in from nannying (about $800 ever two weeks) is enough to pay for the rest of my living expenses. Would CRP have any issues with this?
Any advice would really help me out! I've always been interested in fostering and am hoping that everything works out.
Hello Shelby. I can't speak for California, but I can for Oklahoma. You have to have adequate space for a child's things and a bed in the room. We had to get safety outlet covers for all exposed electrical outlets. You are required to have a fire extinguisher, first aid kit, and smoke detectors near the bedrooms. As far as income went we had to be able to support ourselves and our bills. The baby sitter won't be a problem. As long as someone doesn't have to keep the child over 12 hours. If they watch the child for over 12 hours they are required to have a homestudy as well. We are in the processing of adopting through the state and it goes just like foster care for approval. We are waiting for our approval now. Good luck!
Advertisements
Hello Shelby. I can't speak for California, but I can for Oklahoma. You have to have adequate space for a child's things and a bed in the room. We had to get safety outlet covers for all exposed electrical outlets. You are required to have a fire extinguisher, first aid kit, and smoke detectors near the bedrooms. As far as income went we had to be able to support ourselves and our bills. The baby sitter won't be a problem. As long as someone doesn't have to keep the child over 12 hours. If they watch the child for over 12 hours they are required to have a homestudy as well. We are in the processing of adopting through the state and it goes just like foster care for approval. We are waiting for our approval now. Good luck!
Thanks so much for replying! Do you have any experience hiring a babysitter for a foster child? I plan on doing short term foster care, so I would only need a babysitter for a few weeks/months. Do I simply just have to ask the babysitter to get fingerprinted through the state before I leave a child with them? And is there a age requirement for a babysitter? I've got a teenage neighbor that I'd love to hire, but she isn't 18 yet. Thanks!
I'm in New York. I fostered a baby because I had been fostering his brother. FYI: not sure if this is nationwide or state wide but a newborn can't go to daycare. My mom watched him until he was 6 weeks when he was old enough to go. I used daycare for all my placements but a newborn can't. Also, this was strange: when I got the newborn, a nurse as well as a caseworker would visit. The nurse continued after the next 2 placements, then stopped. Good luck!
I'm in New York. I fostered a baby because I had been fostering his brother. FYI: not sure if this is nationwide or state wide but a newborn can't go to daycare. My mom watched him until he was 6 weeks when he was old enough to go. I used daycare for all my placements but a newborn can't. Also, this was strange: when I got the newborn, a nurse as well as a caseworker would visit. The nurse continued after the next 2 placements, then stopped. Good luck!
Thanks so much for the advice!