Advertisements
Advertisements
Hello,
I recently completed the classes and several home visits to be denied by DCF! The decision came down to a supervisor who used her discretion. I was basically denied for two reasons. My son (now 19) went to live with his father when he was 16. I didn't know this was an issue until I was called into a meeting to tell me I was denied! The supervisor basically judged me that my son wanted to live with his father (ex-husband) instead of me....as if there MUST of have been something wrong with me. Never mind that my daughter (same father) lives with me.
The second reason was that I briefly remarried and moved with him to his home state (CT). Once we got there, he started partying with his old friends and family. There were a few incident reports because of him drinking. I divorced him. There was a Protection Order in place against him. The divorce has been final more than two years but the supervisor basically said that I need to get counseling as a victim and my home isn't a place for a foster child. She got all this from those incident reports as I had already completed every single thing I was required to do to become a foster parent.
I know I can reapply with a private agency but as far as I know, all of the private agencies in CT are therapeutic for children 6 and up. I just wanted to do regular foster care for 0-5 year olds with hopes to adopt at some point. Has anyone ever been denied by a DCF office and went to another DCF office to reapply? There are tons of DCF offices here and are in "regions". Am I blacklisted from all of them or will it be cross referenced if I apply elsewhere? I do feel that I was judged rather harshly. There is NO appeal process in CT for someone applying for foster care.
Advertisements
A young man is old enough to make his own decisions, even though he's not yet 18, and a 16 year old son wanting to live with their dad, is no surprise to anyone, mom or dad, that's raised a boy.
Kudos to you, for recognizing after only a short time that a marriage wasn't working, and wasn't going to, and getting out!
Unfortunately, those two situations being used against you is not really a surprise. Foster parents are expected to be perfect. The agencies won't say that out loud, but by denying your application, they have made that clear.
I'd suggest you talk to a lawyer, that has dealt with children's services, and ask about your options to file an appeal, or just leave it be, and ask how each choice might effect you.
Hello,
I recently completed the classes and several home visits to be denied by DCF! The decision came down to a supervisor who used her discretion. I was basically denied for two reasons. My son (now 19) went to live with his father when he was 16. I didn't know this was an issue until I was called into a meeting to tell me I was denied! The supervisor basically judged me that my son wanted to live with his father (ex-husband) instead of me....as if there MUST of have been something wrong with me. Never mind that my daughter (same father) lives with me.
The second reason was that I briefly remarried and moved with him to his home state (CT). Once we got there, he started partying with his old friends and family. There were a few incident reports because of him drinking. I divorced him. There was a Protection Order in place against him. The divorce has been final more than two years but the supervisor basically said that I need to get counseling as a victim and my home isn't a place for a foster child. She got all this from those incident reports as I had already completed every single thing I was required to do to become a foster parent.
I know I can reapply with a private agency but as far as I know, all of the private agencies in CT are therapeutic for children 6 and up. I just wanted to do regular foster care for 0-5 year olds with hopes to adopt at some point. Has anyone ever been denied by a DCF office and went to another DCF office to reapply? There are tons of DCF offices here and are in "regions". Am I blacklisted from all of them or will it be cross referenced if I apply elsewhere? I do feel that I was judged rather harshly. There is NO appeal process in CT for someone applying for foster care.
The same thing just happened to me. I would be interested to know the outcome for you after you posted this.
Tim