Advertisements
Advertisements
Post number 2. Sorry if I'm putting them in the wrong places.
Our two foster girls, 10 and 11, came into our care with iPhones. While I get that having phones is pretty normal these days we've yet to set real rules with them about it. Due to the one girl being afraid of our dog she spends a good amount of time in her room with her phone. Now I trust based on her activity in front of us that use is talking to friends and watching videos. But since we can't get her to stay in the room where everyone else is since the dog is there we're trying to figure out how to proceed. We're trying to get to a set schedule-still figuring out new schools, new house, etc. But the phone has been one thing I haven't pushed on yet. We're leaning toward an 8 or 8:30 cut off of all screens which I think is fair but might be hard to enforce.
Advertisements
My wife and I have 3 kids, 15, 14, & 12, who all have cell phones. We use a program called “OurPact” that lets us control screen time. Initially we tried to just let them do it on their own, but it didn’t work. We have one kid who just likes to break rules. 8 or 8:30 is a perfect cut off. And, as they get older, you can extend the time.
The app also allows us to control what (and monitor some) apps they can use. It works in iPhone or android and is a good way to teach them self control - i.e. when to set the phone down, converse with others, etc.
Now, there will be push back. Ours fought back hard. But, you just gotta stick to your rules (an issue we are having with our middle kid).
I hope this helps!
Post number 2. Sorry if I'm putting them in the wrong places.
Our two foster girls, 10 and 11, came into our care with iPhones. While I get that having phones is pretty normal these days we've yet to set real rules with them about it. Due to the one girl being afraid of our dog she spends a good amount of time in her room with her phone. Now I trust based on her activity in front of us that use is talking to friends and watching videos. But since we can't get her to stay in the room where everyone else is since the dog is there we're trying to figure out how to proceed. We're trying to get to a set schedule-still figuring out new schools, new house, etc. But the phone has been one thing I haven't pushed on yet. We're leaning toward an 8 or 8:30 cut off of all screens which I think is fair but might be hard to enforce.
1 Liked
 likes this.
My wife and I have 3 kids, 15, 14, & 12, who all have cell phones. We use a program called “OurPact” that lets us control screen time. Initially we tried to just let them do it on their own, but it didn’t work. We have one kid who just likes to break rules. 8 or 8:30 is a perfect cut off. And, as they get older, you can extend the time.
The app also allows us to control what (and monitor some) apps they can use. It works in iPhone or android and is a good way to teach them self control - i.e. when to set the phone down, converse with others, etc.
Now, there will be push back. Ours fought back hard. But, you just gotta stick to your rules (an issue we are having with our middle kid).
I hope this helps!
It could be better if you will start reinforcing the rules.