Advertisements
Advertisements
My husband and I are looking into adoption. I feel strongly that we could give a teenager a good home. We are in our late 20s and in the military - a very stable life and have a large home with 3 bedrooms with just us two (no kids of our own - yet). That said, we love to travel and we know we will be moving in 2 years, and probably every 3-4 years after that. We are currently stateside but hope to live abroad again someday, either through the military or maybe through other work once my husband retires. We know that one of us will be going back to school, and that we want to have our own biological children soon too. Is that just too much change/craziness to bring a child into? What about adopting and then having bio children? Any feedback from people with personal experience is appreciated!
Advertisements
My husband and I are looking into adoption. I feel strongly that we could give a teenager a good home. We are in our late 20s and in the military - a very stable life and have a large home with 3 bedrooms with just us two (no kids of our own - yet). That said, we love to travel and we know we will be moving in 2 years, and probably every 3-4 years after that. We are currently stateside but hope to live abroad again someday, either through the military or maybe through other work once my husband retires. We know that one of us will be going back to school, and that we want to have our own biological children soon too. Is that just too much change/craziness to bring a child into? What about adopting and then having bio children? Any feedback from people with personal experience is appreciated!
With what I know, there are requirements for adoption or becoming foster parents. One must be at least 21 years of age, responsible adults, and financially stable. There will be also a background check if you are qualified or not.
The problem with foster kids and the military is the uncertainty. If you know you're moving in 2 years but get a foster kid that gets attached, the foster kid will be hurt more when you move. That's not fair to any foster child. They have to be available for visits unless bio parents rights have been TPR'd. Think about respite (if your state allows it) first so you can see how it is.
1 Liked
 likes this.