Advertisements
Advertisements
My family and I had our home study done yesterday for kinship placement through CPS. We have already had the children in our home for 2 1/2 months. It's just that something about the home study hasn't been sitting well with me. The visit lasted the amount of time we were told to expect and she asked every question under the sun but when it came time to do the home walk through the contractor didn't really do what I was expecting. She took photos of only four rooms and then stated she would call our references the next day and left. I'm really not sure how to take this. Maybe it's me being concerned they will take the kids and I'm over reacting but I just expected her to look in ever nook and cranny and she didn't even open any closet doors or even check if what we told her about certain things (meds locked up and child safety latches on cabniets etc. ) Should I be concerned? How long before we know anyone the results?
Advertisements
Hey! I am sure you already have a result in this but since no one answered I figured I would do my best in case anyone has this question as well! (I hope it all ended well for you!)
The fact that they did not look in closets and make sure you were telling the truth does not seem like a red flag to me. The fact that they took photos of the rooms is probably more for reference to where they will be sleeping, and to look back on. If they need to remember how many kids in each room, or specific details about the rooms. During our home study we just pointed to where things were and that was enough. I think if you looked confused and unsure, they would have checked. But if you were able to point and say the medication is there on the top shelf, the cleaning supplies are on a shelf in the laundry room, then there is likely no real reason to check. I learned the home studies are not as invasive as they make them out to be. I think if your home appears good, and you seem to know the answers without hesitation then it goes quicker. I am sure after tons of home studies they know the things to look for, and probably when to double check things. And we were always told that if there is anything concerning in the home, they would just point it out so we have a chance to fix it. They would not remove the kids unless there was a major safety concern that you were not able, or willing to fix, but from what we were told, they have to let you know, so you have a chance to fix it. So even if your medication was all over the counter, they would tell you to put it away, you put it away, and problem fixed!
I am a foster parent, and from my experiences, they want the kids to have a safe loving home. And kinship is their goal, so I do not believe they would disrupt a kinship over something minor without giving you a chance to fix it. Unless you get bad references, or background checks come back bad, I do not think there is any reason it should be concerning.