Advertisements
Advertisements
Hello,
My wife and I are considering adopting a sibling set (boy and girl). We have had visits and don't feel much of an emotional connection. When I say emotional - I mean we don't feel goose bumps or excited. We feel as though they are good kids with some challenges.
People keep asking us if we are excited and we feel odd that we don't. Is that abnormal?
No. What people don't realize is that with adoption, there's very little time to connect before you bring them home. A pregnant woman has 9 months. With adoption, the connection will come when they're with you. But it's not weird.
Advertisements
You literally do not know these kids. It will take time to become attached to them. Give yourself that time to get to know them and find what you love about them. Answer these questions like "we are very excited to be starting a family" Look for some good blogs on the topic. I had read an interesting one years back about a mother who struggled for almost a year and how she made sure her daughter "felt loved" even though she didn't yet love her. It looks like some time has passed, did you end up being matched to those children?