Advertisements
Advertisements
This mother was a victim of domestic violence. There is much information on domestic violence available for you to educate yourself on if you really want to know why some victims respond the way that they do. That said, your caseworker is unprofessional and not serving the mother or the child or you well for that matter. Fact is, reunification is not up to her, it is up to the judge. It sounds as if mom is working her case plan, and even if she did not the baby must by law be offered to family members on both sides, regardless of their lack of relationship, even a "special study" placement is possible where the child can be placed with a friend. I have had a baby placed with an ex-wife. If the family is not aware of the baby and becomes aware they can legally fight and almost always gain custody. If BM is smart she would get herself an attorney who would ensure that no games are being played behind the scenes by the state, like intentional delay tactics or not sharing information with mom. I would never, ever want to be a part of gaining a child who was unjustly taken from their mother. I get that she returned to her husband and abuser, she obviously needs help, and would not be working the case plan if she did not love and want her baby. Don't allow your caseworker to lull you into a sense of security. TPR is not easy, and appeals can make it a process that drags on for years. Our situation was supposed to be a slam dunk case of TPR and BM is well off with a good attorney there is no BD involved because the children are IVF and no family because she is older & so are the family members & the relationships are strained. That said the judge dismissed TPR which was filed after nearly two years of the children being in the system, and the children are to return, it had nothing to do with anything except that she worked the case plan and did all that was required of her, period. Only in our case BM has no bond and no parenting inclinations, these children were tortured by an acquaintance, and now they are going back to someone who cannot make good parenting decisions.