Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi everyone,
I am new to this site - I have been thinking about fostering for the last couple of years and read countless books and online forums on the subject. I had gone to a foster orientation in NY and was ready to start classes when I received an offer from my current company to move to Miami. Before moving I did a lot of research on fostering in FL and ended up signing a lease for a 1BR apartment, since I am alone, but more importantly, since according to the information I found online, I could foster children under 12 months in a 1BR (I would like to start out with becoming a respite or emergency foster parent).
After getting settled in Miami I started reaching out to agencies and was told that they no longer place children under 12 months in one bedroom apartments as they are concerned that the child will "age out" of the apartment. Which of course is an extremely valid concern, however, I have the financial means (and ability) to move to a two bedroom apartment if such a situation would occur (there are always 2BR's available in my current building) and I would even sign documents stating this but so far it doesn't look like they will allow me to.
I just moved in a few months ago so I am not sure if I should wait until my current lease expires or start the process of moving into a 2BR - but from what I understand there is such a great need for emergency foster parents NOW and I feel like it's a shame that I can't foster when I am able to provide a very stable, loving, safe and comfortable home. If I would have known this in advance I would have signed a lease for a 2BR apartment... :( Does anyone have any experience with this? Are some private agencies more flexible or do they no longer allow fostering young children in 1BR's at all?
Any advise would be very much appreciated!
Thanks so much!
Isabelle
Wait until you're able to move into a 2 bedroom apartment. Caseworkers don't want to place a baby with you and then something happens and you're not able to move and the baby has to be moved.
Advertisements