Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi there,
Since my son found out that he is adopted my life divided into “before” and “after”. I expected that this information would be pretty shocking for him, but I couldn’t imagine such heavy consequences. At first, he just shut himself off, although after talking with the adolescent psychologist (my son is 15) he felt so much better and our relationship has become warmer. But then he stopped coming home when he'd eventually returned he was heading to his room without any explanation and immediately fell asleep. Yesterday he confessed that he addicted to drugs and asked for help. I started looking for a place where he could receive qualified treatment and found the info about special rehabs for teens on Addiction Resource. I hope he'll get better with professional help.
Now I feel I’m a terrible mother, and it’s my fault. I shouldn’t have told him about adoption, but I wanted to be honest with him. Maybe I should have said this earlier or later?
Last update on January 2, 2:29 am by Sophia Richardson.
First: it's not your fault. Non-adoptees do drugs and drink. He's processing the info. Get him in to rehab. Realize that he may relapse and/or may have to move to get a new start. Good luck.
Advertisements