Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi, My wife and I are fostering to adopt a baby boy since he was 6 days old, and he is over 7 months now. The biological mother didn't do any of required stuff to get him back. Now that the 6 month court date is approaching she started to visit, but she has only seeing him twice. DCFS will recommend that her reunification services be terminated in the next hearing. In the beginning of the case she told the department and court that guy "X" was the father, and the baby even has his last name. Guy "X" didn't show up for any of the court hearings and his reunification rights were terminated. Now that BM knows that she is not getting the Kid back, she and her mother are saying that there is another guy (guy "Y") and he is the real father. They are being very aggressive and even tried to bring Guy Y to a visit. They keep saying that Guy Y will get custody.
Can the BM now bring another guy and say that he is the father? she never mentioned him before. Will Guy Y be required to take a DNA test? Or can he just tell the court that he is the father and get custody? Any input will be appreciated. Thanks
No court will hand over custody to any man without a DNA test to prove he is the biological father. The mother can trot out as many men as she wants; but they will all be required to be tested, and eventually the court will stop entertaining her attempts.
1 Liked
 likes this.
Advertisements
Thanks that helps a lot
No court will hand over custody to any man without a DNA test to prove he is the biological father. The mother can trot out as many men as she wants; but they will all be required to be tested, and eventually the court will stop entertaining her attempts.
There will be a paternity test done. If a father does show up, he could try for custody if he does everything that's asked of him.
1 Liked
 likes this.
Thanks, We don't believe that he is the father. The baby does not look anything at all like him. I think the BM is just trying to buy time. The first guy she said was the father got his reunification rights terminated, so now she is using this new guy and says that he is the real father.
There will be a paternity test done. If a father does show up, he could try for custody if he does everything that's asked of him.