Advertisements
Advertisements
: : hello. I was just wondering from those who have successfully transitioned a child from their previous foster home to their adoptive home, if you have any tips or suggestions for how to help your child ease into feeling safe and comfortable leaving their foster family (this is coming from the adoptive parent).
Just a background, my child is in elementary school (younger) and has mild-moderate autism but although he has some difficulty verbally expressing himself, he is very bright and believed to be able to internally process more than he verbally demonstates (think introverted). He is kind and affectionate mostly because his foster mom did such an amazing job building trust of care and he is very attached to her because she is all he's known (one foster family for the last several years since we was in pre-school) He is bonding with me but at this point he does not understand that he will be living with me in his forever home in about 5 weeks (longer transition for his autism needs).
What can I as the adoptive mom during this transition do to help my child bond with me in these next 5 weeks, and feel safe and comfortable with the idea of leaving his foster family and living with me? Just curious. I want to be sure this is a very positive exprerience for him (my fear is that it will traumatize him when the move happens - which would be so heart breaking to say the least) : :