Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi!
Long story short, at the end of October I received my original birth records from the state my adoption took place.
I was able to locate my birth mother pretty fast and verified contact info with Google searches and a search angel.
I sent my birth mother a letter (non-certified, I didn’t want to scare her) with pictures of me, and copies of the records.
In the meantime, to give her time to process, I did Ancestry to see if I can find my birth father. Once I got my dna results I uploaded to Gedmatch, FTDNA, and MyHeritage.
I can see that my birth mother also submitted her dna to both ancestry and MyHeritage! As an adoptee, my first thought is that she’s been searching too.
I really want to try to reach out to her again, but I think I’ll drive myself crazy if I send her message or email and have to wait for her response.
So I’m thinking of calling her this weekend, but I need advice is this even a good idea and help on what to say.
Thank you in advance!
1 Liked
 likes this.
Advertisements
Hi!
Long story short, at the end of October I received my original birth records from the state my adoption took place.
I was able to locate my birth mother pretty fast and verified contact info with Google searches and a search angel.
I sent my birth mother a letter (non-certified, I didn’t want to scare her) with pictures of me, and copies of the records.
In the meantime, to give her time to process, I did Ancestry to see if I can find my birth father. Once I got my dna results I uploaded to Gedmatch, FTDNA, and MyHeritage.
I can see that my birth mother also submitted her dna to both ancestry and MyHeritage! As an adoptee, my first thought is that she’s been searching too.
I really want to try to reach out to her again, but I think I’ll drive myself crazy if I send her message or email and have to wait for her response.
So I’m thinking of calling her this weekend, but I need advice is this even a good idea and help on what to say.
Thank you in advance!
Did you call her or did nerves get better of you and put it off. If you have matched profiles on Ancestory and My Heritage, she will see that info when she goes on again, assuming she is a current member. She may be searching too, or may simply be into genealogy. I don’t want to dampen your enthusiasm as it is likely she at least on some level is expecting you to be found, if she has taken the tests, as any and all biological relatives can be connected that way to a number of levels. If you contact her, I would let her know that you had gotten your birth certificate and had also done the DNA test, which you uploaded to Ancestory.com and MyHeritage, for additional verification that you and she are indeed a match. Indicate that when you got your birth certificate, you did send her a letter and was wondering if she had received it. She may have been uncertain how to respond or what to expect, what you want from her at this point in your life and how that may effect her current family situation if any. So asking if she received your letter and pictures, is reasonable question. And see where conversation leads from there, as far as her wishes and yours go. I wish you the best of luck! If you already did call, please tell us how it went!
1 Liked
 likes this.
Advertisements