Advertisements
Advertisements
I have a fs who has been with me for 6 years now. He is also my nephew. His mother’s rights were terminated in 2017, which included any unknown father also. His adoption was finally looking like it was moving forward and then we got a letter that said a father came forward in December 2018 and has appealed the TPR. Has this happened to anyone? What is the likelihood that it will be overturned for him?
We also moved to another state, so he is currently part of an icpc.
If he has his life together, chances are the child will go with him. I know this isn't what you want to hear but it's possible he had no knowledge that the child existed. When I took MAPP classes years ago, the worker said nothing is permanent until you're in the judge's chambers and he/she bangs the gavel.. This is so true.
Advertisements
We had this happen to us sort of. The unknown father came forward 10 days before his termination. We had one hearing so far and the next hearing is next week. We are praying for termination at that time but he could easily get an improvement period as well. He is currently in jail and an addict, homeless, and jobless. Never had any contact with the child after her birth and subsequent hospital stay. But the foster program is geared toward keeping bio family together.
Not knowing the whole situation, I would say you have a great chance of keeping the child since you have had her or she for so many years. Courts hate to disrupt a child's routine. However, I would get a lawyer to help with the fight and it will be a fight. Good luck.