Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi, my husband and I adopted a 5 year old girl from India and brought her home July 3rd 2018. We have three older children (my husband's first marriage) that live with us (22, 20 and 15) so she has had an instant family. Our adopted daughter is bright, funny, smart and cute. She has no real physical issues and we are working with an adoption physician as well as an adoption/behavioral/attachment counselor. I am looking for a place to get some advice though because our appointments are months apart, and I could really use some guidance and input on a regular basis from this amazing community.
My issue is that although we have tried to be very careful about not overwhelming our adopted daughter with too many things, or devices or screentime, she is very bossy, controlling, and has taken to either sulking or having outright tantrums for hours if she doesn't get her way on something. We give her choices, we hold our tempers, are very even-keeled with handling her, but I am at my wits' end. Everything is a fight, an argument or a tantrum. She acts like a spoiled, entitled brat and I just don't know how to handle it. She's only been with us for 6 months!
Does anyone else have this issue? How do you handle it? Thank you for your advice!