Advertisements
Advertisements
Hello all. I have hit a snag in getting approved to foster that I did not expect to encounter.
A couple of years ago we ended up talking with CPS because they had a complaint. They told us it happens all of the time and to not worry about it. They said it would be unfounded/unsubstantiated and should not hurt our plans to adopt or foster. Just if we had a call in the future they would have record of it.
So we continued on with our adoption plans which led us to foster, hopefully a young lady we know. Our agency approved us months ago. Then the county denied us because we have a substantiated record of child abuse on our record. I requested the record and it reads like a typo was made. Everything else in the report was as it should be other than the one word “substantiated.” I keep calling and talking to different people in our county and none of them seem to know what to do. I talked to the person who wrote the report and he said he couldn’t change it if he wanted to because too much time has passed. There doesn’t seem to be a real process for getting this fixed. Anyone who read the report would realize it was a typo.
I don’t know if having an unsubstantiated or unfounded record on us would disqualify us from fostering still. Which is sad as it was a misunderstanding in the first place. Regardless, I must get this fixed as I can’t have a record of substantiated child abuse on my CPS record when it just is false. Does anyone have any ideas. I live in California. I have talked to records, dpss, the case worker who handled us, and the case worker who denied our application. None of these people know what to do as we never had a court case or anything. I think maybe a lawyer could help but I don’t know.
I'm not sure what state you're in but you should have received a letter stating the case was unfounded/unsubstantiated and closed. If that hasn't happened, you may have to write to the head of whatever agency handles this.
Advertisements