Advertisements
Advertisements
I'm new to the forum, but I'm curious what y'all think about race and ethnicity and heritage and culture.
I am adopted from China when I was almost 2, but now as an adult I don't know how to really identify when it comes to ethnicity and heritage.
My adopted parents are both white and basically all of my friends and family are white, so I never really grew up with any Asian influence. But at the same time, I don't feel comfortable identifying as white and American, even if my life has reflected it.
Anyone have any advice or opinions on this?
I agree with this completely, I am adopted from Russia, My birth mom is Russian and by birthfather is from Uzbekistan. I do not look like my parents. i wish i grew up learning more about Russian culture. I feel the same i dont feel comfterable identifying as white/american either, even though some people say I might look white and i grew up in D.C. But my blood is different.
I'm new to the forum, but I'm curious what y'all think about race and ethnicity and heritage and culture.
I am adopted from China when I was almost 2, but now as an adult I don't know how to really identify when it comes to ethnicity and heritage.
My adopted parents are both white and basically all of my friends and family are white, so I never really grew up with any Asian influence. But at the same time, I don't feel comfortable identifying as white and American, even if my life has reflected it.
Anyone have any advice or opinions on this?
1 Liked
 likes this.
Advertisements
Hi Rebecca,
I was adopted from China when I was 1 year old. A lot of my friends and family are also Caucasian. When I was growing up, I would think of myself as 50% Chinese and 50% American. But then I went to China to study abroad, and I realized I am pretty much 100% American. I have always struggled with the fact that I obviously look Chinese on the outside, but I feel very American. Sometimes I feel the need to explain myself to new people by giving the disclaimer that I was adopted. I feel like it puts people at ease and makes them think “oh she is still one of us” because I have lived in the US all my life. I have realized that I am ashamed of being adopted because it is painful to know that my birth parents gave me up. I know they probably had very legitimate reasons to give me away and that I have a better life because of it, but that does not erase the pain. My goal is one day to get to a place where I am proud to say I am adopted. I hope you get there one day too.