Advertisements
Advertisements
I recently got a 7 month old placement. Unlike my last placement where I was given many details, I am not getting any info on this little guy. I have no idea why he was removed, no health history, familt history...
I have asked multiple workers and cant get any info. How can I at least find out why he was removed? Do they not have to tell me? My life now pretty much revolves around this little guy and hes the sweetest. I'm so glad I have him with me just wish I knew something about his life. Thoughts?
I was in the same situation last year! We did not find out their history for over a month after placement. We didn't know if the parents just went to jail, or if they were abused, or what so we didn't know what to tell the doctors, or how to handle their behavior without possibly doing something to trigger them.
Yes they do have to tell you why they were removed. It can tell you a lot about the childs behavior and explain things. Knowing drugs were involved might be why they scream for hours a day. Physical abuse might be why they don't like to be held. Something can be normal for a drug exposed baby, but might be signs of something else in a healthy baby, so I would really try to track someone down. Possibly try calling your agency to see how you could find out.
But make sure to try and get the full story too!
One case our kids were removed from being left alone. CPS made it seem minor and rare, like they just happened to get caught the one or two times they did it, so we didn't know why their behavior was so extreme. 11 months later we found out it was a regular thing, like multiple times a week for over 2 years! Explained a lot, but much too late.
Then now we were told the mom used drugs a few times at the end of her pregnancy, then 3 months later we find out she used daily for the entire 9 months.
So make sure you get the history as well. Just because they were removed because of one thing, doesn't mean nothing else happened to the child. We get a lot of 'only answer the question that was asked' people so we try to ask a lot
Advertisements