Advertisements
Advertisements
Hello
I live in Indiana and I filed a petition to adopt my two stepsons. She was served papers and had 30 days to contest which she did so on the last possible day. They set a date for the hearing but she refuses to show up for it. Our lawyer told us that there is nothing we can do until she appears for the hearing. He said we will just have to keep serving her papers. Has anyone had this issue during their stepparent adoption and if so what happened and how did you not have a mental break down.
Advertisements
There is a state set time limit on responding to the summons. If she does not respond in the allotted time, your state may require that you serve her again, or by publication. she then has a limited time to respond.
if she does not respond in required timeframe, she will lose by default and a final hearing notification will be sent to her via registered mail. if she does not show for final hearing you win.
We just went through this, after a 5 yr battle with an abusive, irresponsible drug addict no call no show bio mom. WE WON
Please share your story... my ex just received notice that my husband wants to adopt my daughter and I know he will contest. He hasnt seen her in 7 years and has not paid any child support. He moved out of state and is trying to avoid being served. .. will a judge really stand for this... ?
There is a state set time limit on responding to the summons. If she does not respond in the allotted time, your state may require that you serve her again, or by publication. she then has a limited time to respond.
if she does not respond in required timeframe, she will lose by default and a final hearing notification will be sent to her via registered mail. if she does not show for final hearing you win.
We just went through this, after a 5 yr battle with an abusive, irresponsible drug addict no call no show bio mom. WE WON
We have 3 foster siblings and the parent rights were terminated a couple of weeks ago. The GAL texted me today to say they have filed an appeal of the decision. We don't meet with the social worker until Friday. Any insight on how long the appeal process can take, what to expect, etc.?
Last update on January 28, 7:10 am by Abood Ghazal.
Hello
I live in Indiana and I filed a petition to adopt my two stepsons. She was served papers and had 30 days to contest which she did so on the last possible day. They set a date for the hearing but she refuses to show up for it. Our lawyer told us that there is nothing we can do until she appears for the hearing. He said we will just have to keep serving her papers. Has anyone had this issue during their stepparent adoption and if so what happened and how did you not have a mental break down.
She will lose by default and get a notice of the final hearing through registered mail if she does not reply within the allotted period. You win if she doesn't appear for the last hearing.
Advertisements