Advertisements
Advertisements
So thru AncestryDNA I found my bio family.
Contacted bio parents first out of consideration before trying to contact my siblings.
The response email from my bio Mom was demeaning and rude, in spite of the gentle and non-threatening tone of the email I sent her. I basically told her not to be distressed by this and that I would not intrude on her family and any future contact I was leaving in her hands.
I understand it is a sensitive issue. She asked me not to contact any of her relatives about this as they do not want any upheaval in their family at this time. She did give me the gift of confirming it was them, but I already knew from the DNA and info from social services.
So I am respecting their wishes, but really wish I could meet my siblings.
Hope they come around sometime.
But I was really shocked at the rudeness of her response to me as this was our first personal contact ever. I guess they were not concerned with what my first impression of them would be.
Anyone gone thru this before?
Were you able to get in touch with siblings?
Yeah, Michael, from my experience as an adoptee, one has to mindful if our birth was a family secret. Unfortunately, if it was, sometimes the birth Mother will not want to be that receptive. I am so sorry you have apparently experienced this.
Advertisements
I know that this was a couple of years ago, but I just wanted you to know that I experienced the same thing. My bio mom was kind of nice to me at first, but she didn't want me to contact my siblings. She had married and then divorced my father. I contacted he and my siblings and they were very nice. Here's what I think. You should contact your siblings and your father and leave it in their Court. I was completely ignored bypass her, because she sounds like she's kind of an ass. I mean who would do that to their child? I'm learning that sometimes, not often, but sometimes the people who put their babies up for adoption weren't very feeling to begin with. There is a pattern. So I say skip over her and contact the others. If none of them want to meet you, then I would just send them a quick letter that it's their loss and you're a very nice person and it's too bad they didn't want to meet you. Oh but I do want to tell you my theory. To mothers who reject their children, my question to them is if you found out that one of the children you have raised was switched at birth accidentally, would you want to meet your bio child? Or would you just say no no never mind it's too stressful I don't want to go there? We all know the answer. The only difference is that she is embarrassed about this decision.