Advertisements
Advertisements
Hello everyone,,
I have no idea if anyone else here sews, but thought I would ask, and see if anyone wanted to join me in supporting this charity organization. I recently found a group called Dress a Girl Around the World. They organize efforts to sew dresses and boys' pants to donate to poverty-stricken parts of the world. They provide some simple instructions for sewing the items, either from new fabric or from existing garments, like men's dress-shirts and t-shirts. They will accept garments made from other patterns, too, but prefer simple things, since they are easier to fit.
I came upon their site while looking for ideas for summer dresses to sew for my granddaughter, Ashlyn. The "pillowcase dresses" are the most popular. They can be made in a variety of ways, but all very simple. You don't have to use a pillowcase. I have only used lightweight cotton and cotton/poly woven or seersucker. You can use lightweight knits, too, or basically just anything you have around.
There are ways to keep the costs down to around $2-3 a dress, or even less. Walmart, and some fabric stores, have some fabric that is very inexpensive or has been marked way down for clearance. Second hand stores often have fabric pieces, pillowcases, and other items that are easy to make dresses or pants out of, for just a dollar or two. If anyone happens to live near me (northern Utah) and would like some fabric, I would be happy to share some of my stash.
They send the things to several different parts of the world. I am the most interested in sending things to Haiti, because my youngest daughter, Joanna, is half Haitian. We maintain contact with her birth father. He was born in the US and has always lived here, but still has many relatives in Haiti. I know they also send things to various parts of South America, Africa, and Eastern Europe, and probably parts of Asia, as well.
I can't afford to donate money to charities anymore, since my divorce and illness, so I am very excited to find something I can do that can make a difference in the life of a child. It is humbling to think that, while my kids send huge bags of clothing they have only worn a few times to second hand stores, there are little children who have so little that they would be thrilled with a new little dress or pair of pants.
[url=http://www.dressagirlaroundtheworld.com/]Home - Dress a Girl Around the World[/url]
Last update on September 24, 12:43 pm by Gujarish Gomes.