Advertisements
Advertisements
Quick back story. 3 boys, 3yr old and 10month old twins at time of coming into care, came into care for severe medical neglect as well as extreme abuse of one of the infants. Dad repeatedly bashed the baby's head against the side of the crib, causing extensive bruising. Dad went to jail, and mom (after defending and deflecting for dad) decided he was a piece of garbage and wanted nothing to do with him.
Kids were taken into custody and I have had them for the last 7 months. They have progressed immeasurably in the last 7 months and I am happy to take credit for that. Mom believes she is doing everything she is supposed to be doing and tells me all the time that the kids are coming home any day now. She still hasn't had an unsupervised visit. She did have supervised home visits (supervised by a relative) for a while, but those were cancelled due to unsavory people being in attendance, and lying to DHHS.
Now to the meat of the matter. I attended a meeting at daycare this morning to discuss some complaints mom has made about the daycare, as well as some miscommunication about medical devices one of the children requires. I thought it was going to be a fairly boring meeting and was dreading losing an hour of my life I would never get back. Turns out it was very enlightening. Staffers at the daycare divulged that mom has been opening up to them regarding her story, and was very excited to tell them about her engagement....to bio dad. You know, the guy in jail for slamming his child's head against a crib. There is a protection from abuse order against him for mom, and apparently she has been ignoring that and visiting him in jail. She is very excited for him to come home so they can get married. She was also telling the children they will be seeing their daddy very soon.
So...what is the likelihood the kids go home after this? Some of the things the caseworker says, sounds like she's building a case for TPR, but she will not say "TPR". They've also recently changed the status of our case from reunification to reunification with concurrent adoption. One of the children has extensive medical issues that will require a great deal of care and many doctors appointments and surgery and I frankly worry she won't follow through.
First: Don't assume things work out logically. While you and I would TPR, it may not happen. Second: during MAPP class, it was stated; do not count on anything until the judge bangs his/her gavel. I've been on both sides of this. Keeping my fingers crossed it works out for the kiddies.
Advertisements