Advertisements
Advertisements
Okay so I am new here but I need to get some advice on a situation. My wife and I are trying to adopt her niece. My wife's mother put her two older kids up for adoption when they were about 2 and 3. She married my wife's dad and had her all within a couple years. She is bipolar and doesn't take her meds. She left my wife when my wife was around 4. She did some visitation but after a couple of months my wife didn't hear from her again until she was 19. After that my wife didn't have much to do with her after that because she refused to admit fault in the lives of her 3 children. It was always somebody elses fault. Now my wife's sister had 5 kids and gave them all away or just left them . The cycle repeating. The 5th child was left at my wife's mother's house. My wife's sister was trying to rekindle her relationship with her biological mom which is the parent my wife and her share. It didn't end well and the sister wanted to move to TN and said she'd be back for the child. She said she came back and my wife's mother refused to give her back. So now a year later we find out that my wife's sister was not coming back and we decided that we didn't want another child to grow up in this environment and we wanted to break that cycle. We want to give her a chance at life. So my wife's sister signed over her rights to us and signed an affidavit saying she wanted us to adopt the child. We took Leah's mom to court and lawyer said that the man my wife's mom is married to now is not giving in. We even had messages from my wife's mom saying she was going to turn the child into DHS because she was tired of dealing with and fighting about it. She said it was taken out of context. So we have a GAL appointed to us and is going to visit both of our homes and our final hearing is in January. I don't understand how this woman would be able to have custody of another child. We want to have this child and give her such a loving home and family. It's so hard to fight someone who I feel like sees a child's life as disposable in a way.
Thank you for listening to me! I know its a lot!