Advertisements
Advertisements
I feel like foster caring is my calling for this point in my life. I am currently studying and my course finishes in a few months where I will have a very flexible, work from home job (or not work at all) and I want to foster young children 0-6years. I want this age group as I’ve completed studies in early childhood education and care so feel this age group would best suit my ability and experience. I’ve also nannied this age group (mostly 0-3 years). I love kids and want to help but whenever I mention that it’s something I’m seriously considering (I’ve done months of research!) people laugh and say I’m way too young and I’d never cope with those “damaged kids”. Do you think this is true?
I still live with my mum but my older siblings have just moved out so we now have spare bedrooms and I feel the timing is right. My mum is on board with it and thinks it will be great for me! So I have her support, but nobody else’s pretty much. I have a decent chunk in savings however if I fostered I would cut back on work/not work at all, will I struggle with the money side of it? I obviously don’t want to dig into my savings as that’s setting myself up for my future but I’m not sure if what we get payed covers everything for the child or if I’d be out of pocket (I do not expect any wages/leftovers I just don’t know if I’m financially okay to afford a child!). Everywhere I’ve read has said financially stable but they also say it’s best if you don’t work so I don’t understand how you can have both?
Any help and insight I’d really appreciate as I feel in my heart I want to start on this journey!
Advertisements
Absolutely not! I got licensed within 6 months of turning 21 (our agencies minimum age requirement) and 5 years later we are still going! It can be awkward being the youngest, but we never had issues getting kids or anything. We are still doing young like you and always have a full home! I say if you feel ready, do it. Don’t put off helping the kids you want to help just because of age:) as long as you are stable in life, body and mind (no unmanaged health concerns) you should have no problems :) good luck!!
It is a wonder thing that you already know you want to do foster care. When I was very young we went to a picnic at the children's home. There was a boy there who gave me his blue ribbon. I remember wanting to go back for that boy. However, I did not start foster care until I was much older. At this point in your life your own brain is probably not fully matured. You have not given yourself a chance to try enough things or know what you want your future to be about, beyond foster care.
For instance, what if the child never leaves? Are you prepared to adopt the child? How will your significant other feel about already having a child? You are questioning if you will have enough money, if you have to ask the question, you probably will not. Children are expensive, it is unlikely that all a child's expenses would be covered by foster payments.
Foster care is about what is best for the child. Generally that would be a fully matured adult who has a fairly settled life. At 22 your life is just beginning. Yes, if it were absolutely necessary you could take care of a child now but is that a fair position to put a child in if it weren't necessary? There are many other ways you can help children while you grow and figure out your own life.
Great article, but there really ought to be some point here regarding the word "property" here. To me, what is "property"? It is a property or a product. Why is an owner worth $10m if only that "property" is not sold to them? This doesn't mean that they will give some of their money away, but that they will sell it in a negative way, and that there was a conflict here. If any of you know some property appraisers, please let me know. I heard this site propertyappraisers.us has a great list.
Last update on March 3, 12:29 am by Vicky Day.
Absolutely not! I got licensed within 6 months of turning 21 (our agencies minimum age requirement) and 5 years later we are still going! It can be awkward being the youngest, but we never had issues getting kids or anything. We are still doing young like you and always have a full home! I say if you feel ready, do it. Don’t put off helping the kids you want to help just because of age:) as long as you are stable in life, body and mind (no unmanaged health concerns) you should have no problems :) good luck!!
Hi I hope all is well I’m not sure if you are still on this but I have been thinking about becoming a foster parent for a couple years I’m currently 25 and single so I know it would be a challenge especially without family around to help out. I am open to any age and gender with any disabilities or challenges that come with the child but I was wondering what kind of challenges have you faced if any especially starting young, after having experience would you have a ballpark annual salary that would be sufficient enough to support a child ( I know they give some money every month but I will be spending my money as well to make sure they have everything needed) and also did you meet anyone in the classes that you kept in contact with I’ll be working full time so if a child who is not in school is placed with me I would need to find some people to help with child care and I feel that other foster parents would be ideal and lastly how long did the whole process take I will be catching up on bills for the next month but I figured by time the classes and certifications are over I should be well past that with some saved as well I apologize for the lengthy questions I just want to get as much advice as possible before I begin the process so I can be prepared for what it will be like TIA for any advice
Advertisements