Advertisements
Advertisements
I hope this is the right sub for this. Please point me in the right direction if I’m not in the right place.
It is a rather unique situation. I’ll do my best to explain so it makes sense. Sorry there will be no tl;dr for this one as I’m not even sure how to summarize it.
My middle son made a new friend at school last year. Let’s say his name is Mike. Mike is a sweet enough kid who suffered a TBI when he was 3. Subsequently, the car accident that caused the TBI also caused him to be taken away from his parents. He has been in foster care ever since.
He comes over to play every once in awhile and until you’re around him for awhile, you’d never know that he has a disability. The last time he came over, we were having a family fun night type thing. My dad drove Mike home and before he got out of the car, Mike said “I feel like I’m leaving my family.”. Of course he broke my dad’s heart and my parents began discussing foster and adoption options.<a href="
My parents are older (68,69). While I (38) think it’s great that they want to adopt Mike, I’m afraid that they won’t be properly prepared to care for him. One of the areas of his brain that was effected by the TBI controls his ability to control hisself when he gets angry. He is unable to stop hisself and prone to violent outbursts. As he gets older, these outbursts become a bit more frequent and I fear they may become more violent as well. Since my parents are older, I’m afraid in a few years they won’t be able to control his outbursts themselves and they’ll end up hurt.
While they aren’t worried, I do know that once they are no longer able to care for him, it will fall to me to make sure Mike is getting the love and care he needs. I’m not going to lie, the thought scares me a little but I’d also like to be prepared to help them with Mike in anyway that I can.
Has anyone ever adopted someone with special needs? Is there special parenting classes I can take that focuses on children like Mike? I’m aware of the classes and steps that need to be taken to adopt but I’m wondering if there is anything extra that should be done to prepare for kids like Mike to come into your home.
Last update on December 17, 7:33 am by naman johnson.
I have. My son has a learning disorder. He can do some things like shop, clean and cook. Have to get him to pay bills to see if he can live on his own. Your parents have to consider what happens if this child can't live on his own. States have offices to help people with disabilities but everyone is different.
Advertisements