Advertisements
Advertisements
Hello,
I am currently disabled, but I'm able to work from home PT. I need to have continued access to a restroom and my PT job accomodates me by allowing me to work half the time at home, so I am only working outside my home a couple hours a day. Recently, a family member is considering my husband and I to adopt her 7-month old baby, due to not being able to care for him or herself for that matter and my husband and I always wanted children, but the one time I got pregnant ended up in a miscarraige and now I'm nearly 50.
My question is whether or not it would be permittable to adopt this baby while I'm collecting SSD benefits? Or, would it be possible to foster him for a while (while receiving SSD) to see if my famiy member can get their life straightened out? Thank you so much and I look forward to any replies that can answer my questions.
Dyan
Advertisements
Are you adopting from out of foster care? If it is a personal adoption, without any agencies involved, there is no need to worry about any home study to approve or disapprove your disability as a factor in care. If the child is in care of an agency, you will need to pass a home study, and thats an entirely different story.
Hello and thank you for your reply. It's a bit of a difficult situation. The mother is a drug addict. She constantly tries to get her life together, runs with the wrong crowd and the father is even worse-drug addict too and trouble with the law. They lost the right to be alone with their baby after one month by doing the unthinkable. I don't want to say to much online about who is with the baby now, but he is safe and being cared for from other elders in my family who are related to him and they plan on becoming foster parents (It was supposed to be until my husband and I decided whether we would take him because the Mom requested he go to me and my husband), but now his mother is saying she wants him back. She has no money, no job, no car, really no stable home, and says she is off drugs and will go thru the rehab program she has to complete before she and the father can even think about getting him back. They can visit the baby now, but can't be alone with him without someone in my family being there including myself, so the child care authoriities are involved and know the situation. Chances are she will screw up again and my relatives who have him now and plan on fostering him will take over. So, mostlikely, he will be in foster care with my close, but elder family members who just feel they are too old to raise the baby, but can't let him go to strangers. He is such a doll and so good and is always smiling. (Thank god he is too young to know whats going on in his little mind). So, if the parents screw up again, the foster parents want my husband and I to adopt him and relieve them from being foster parents. It is taking quite a toll on them due to their age. So, I'm not sure what that means for my husband and I, as we are no spring chickens either being nearly 50 yrs old, but we always wanted a baby and even did fertility treatments, which resulted in a miscarraige. So, the authorities are involved now to answer your question and the plan is for him to (I'll just say it) be fostered by his grandparents until and if the mother and father have any rights to get him back, which if you knew the couple, is hard to imagine they will stay on track and do the right thing. If they are forced to give him up though, I know the mother (Not sure about father) wants my husband and I to adopt him. Sorry my response is so long. So, I suppose it would be a private adoption? Thanks so much for your help.
Dyan